Tuesday, September 27, 2005

PBS/BBC-Foyle's war

Watched the brilliant Foyle's War today. Have been following the series now, and want to watch as much of it as I can. I have always loved the BBC productions that were shown in India, or were gleaned from friends, and I must say that everytime I see another of their series, I become more and more regretful of how many of their productions I have never seen. Its a pity, the only way to see them here is to borrow some of the more famous series from the library, or be lucky enough to catch them on PBS (the public television).

Anyways Foyle's war depicts realities in England in the backdrop of the second world war. Foyle is the head of police in a characteristic English country backdrop, doing his very important bit in solving crime, and more, during the WWII years. What is interesting is the layers to the crime drama being played out, the way war affects every facet of life, human relationships, even in the remote countryside, and that you don't need to be in the frontlines of action to contribute your bit in the world... everything counts. It is also highly emotional, and gives the vast dimensions of the war that really could have tilted in either direction, and the sacrifices that were made in the process. At the same time, the pace and complexity of the crime drama is maintained. The cases show Foyle and his team's dedication to their job, their intelligence and integrity to maintain order and humanity in an increasingly threatened world. The acting is incredible, the situations so believable that nothing is blown out of proportion. Its a pleasure to watch such a well-made series, touching and very very human. Law and Order is all very well, but compared to this, they are so bang-in-your-face and loud and belong in a different time altogether (which by the way, is the case).

2 Comments:

At 12:52 AM, Anonymous Ash said...

I arrived at this site by blog-hopping. And incredible as it may seem, I do believ I know you guys in real life. Your names as a couple sounded all-too-familiar, and a pic of Kaushik at your other website, convinved me.

Bidisha, you may or may not remmeber me, but Kaushik Bhaiyya you certainly will. It's me - Ashu ! Tita Apa's daughter !!

It is so cool to bump into you guys like this. Do get in touch with me, by e-mail or via my blog

:)

 
At 6:57 PM, Blogger Bidi-K said...

hi ashu, definitely remember you, and will contact soon! this is wonderful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home