Monday, September 12, 2005

Today while the blossom still clings to the vine

This is the song in my head today....

"Today while the blossom still clings to the vine,
I'll taste your strawberries, I'll drink your sweet wine,
A million tomorrows shall all pass away
Ere I forget all the joys that are mine today.
I'll be a dandy and I'll be a rover,
You'll know who I am by the song that I sing.
I'll feast at your table, I'll lie in your clover,
I'll laugh and I'll cry and I'll sing...
Today while the blossom still clings to the vine,
I'll taste your strawberries, I'll drink your sweet wine,
A million tomorrows shall all pass away
Ere I forget all the joys that are mine today.
I can't be contented with yesterday's glories,
I can't live on promises winter to spring,
This is my moment and now is my story,
Who cares what tomorrow will bring?
Today while the blossom still clings to the vine,
I'll taste your strawberries, I'll drink your sweet wine,
A million tomorrows shall all pass away
Ere I forget all the joys that are mine today."

Sung by the New Christy Minstrels and also by John Denver, its the Denver version I heard that I remember well. In a cassette lent to me by Chakri when I was in Class 8. It was a magical cassette with so many songs that I remember but never heard again. They pop up in my mind at unexpected moments and bring me back to the afternoon in Delhi, listening to them on our old Philips cassette player. Today with its memories of yesterdays.

15 Comments:

At 5:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found your post just now while looking for this song's midi...it's pretty hard to find...

I came across this song on a John Denver cd I got from the library and thought it was very pretty.

--Katie :)

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger Peter said...

found you with Google I was looking for the verse in the middle
I like the smart clock Must get one

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger wannabedesigirl said...

My mom used to sing this for me at night as a lullabye. As a preschool teacher I sing it for my kids when they go for naps.
Thanks for posting it!
Chalo!

 
At 2:17 AM, Blogger Liz said...

I learned this song at girl's camp (Crystalaire) MANY years ago. For some reason, it came into my head tonight. hmmmmm Thanks for posting this.

 
At 4:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can anyone help me find a site/program where this song is available for download? Thanks

 
At 10:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard this song today and tried to google for the lyrics - I found yours instead - thank you so much!!!

 
At 7:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i heard this song today ,in my english class.i love it so much that i had a try searching it.it sounds so beautiful,i think!

 
At 8:44 PM, Anonymous Shoan said...

I love this song, so much that I had someone play it at my wedding during reception.

 
At 4:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous requester for the site to download "Today while the blossom clings to the vine."

Go to youtube and enterthe title of what what you need and you will have umpteen of them or email your address to shoangizaw@yahoo.com and I will email you details.

 
At 3:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you can download this free on Limewire

 
At 6:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heard this song in Church probably 30 years ago. And never heard it again. Every now and then pops into my head. But I can never get past the chorus. Sweet memory.

 
At 5:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for share this lyrics!

julbe..

 
At 1:06 PM, Anonymous Keith said...

I must somehow be connected to you all in some odd fashion as I've known and loved this song since I first heard it, I suppose in the 60's or 70's. I sing it often. Christy Minstrals, I believe, performed it on stage in a more innocent time than that in which we now live.
My warm regards to you all.
Keith

 
At 7:26 AM, Blogger dundee said...

This song was popular when I met my husband 45 years ago. I consider it our love song.

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger Firecracker! said...

Thank you!! As a little girl, I learn to play this song on the organ...I recently started playing again and wanted to blip this song on Blip.FM, for a friend, but I couldn't remember who it was by..."The New Christy Minstrels" is what I was looking for! Thank you so much!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home