Monday, October 10, 2005

Ei Meghla dine ekla

ghare thaake na to mon,
kachhe jaabo kobe paabo,
ogo tomar nemontron.....

(roughly translates to :
alone on this rainy day,
my restless self refuses to stay home,
I want to be near you,
When will you invite me ....)

Juthi bone, oi hawa, kore shudhu asha jaoa
Hai hai re, din jai re, bhare andhare bhubon
Kachhe jaabo kobe paabo ogo tomar nemontron
Ei Meghla…

(In the jasmine grove, the wind frolics, to and fro,
Alas, the day goes by, the world is in darkness,
I want to be near you, When will you invite me,
Alone on this rainy day....)

Shudhu jhhore jhhoro jhhoro, aaj bari shaara din
Aaj jeno meghe meghe, holo mon je udasheen

(The winds are stormy, its been pouring all day,
Amidst these clouds, my mind is sad)

Aaji aami khone khone, ki je bhaabi aano mone,
Aaj aashbe, ogo haanshbe, kobe hobe she milon
Kachhe jaabo kobe paabo ogo tomar nemontron
Ei meghla…

(Today every second, my restless mind wanders,
Maybe you will come today, smile at me, Oh when will we have this reunion,
To be near you, oh when will I get your invitation
Alone on this rainy day....)

Song running in my head and my iPod...
Nostalgia...... and a rainy day...... :)

A fresh bout of clouds on an IIT Powai evening

9 Comments:

At 9:24 AM, Anonymous Saurav said...

This song is one of my favorites too...hemanta da is gr8.

 
At 7:58 PM, Blogger Joy Forever said...

Very beautiful post!

I remember Sumon Chatujje...
Mon kharap kora bikel manei megh korechhe,
Duure kothao duyek poshla brishti hochchhe...
...
Sargarom kintu baire rasta paaner dokan,
Radio te hathat ekta purono gaan..."


Probably because I live away from Bengal, I also feel very nostalgic about old Bangla songs, especially Hemanta ones... and I too often play them according to the weather.
And the photo is amazing too...

 
At 11:19 PM, Blogger Bidi-K said...

thanks Saurav!

joy forever: yes indeed the nostalgia of being far away, thanks for the lyrics to the Sumon song. I am woefully inadequate in my bangla gaan repertoire having grown up in Delhi, but do have some basse because of parental influence. i am familar with sumon but not with all his songs so something unknown is always welcome!

 
At 4:44 AM, Blogger Joy Forever said...

Oh... those are only four lines, that too non-contiguous. It is one of my favourite Suman songs, and one of the oldest ones. And it has a reference to a very fond Hemanta song too... "Shanto noditi pote aanka...". Do listen to it if you get a chance!

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger bharat_prakriti said...

ki aar bolbo dada .... bolar urdhe ei post .... gaan ta amar o bheeshan bhalo laage ... je kono samay shunte paari ... aar meghla din e jhoro hawa r taale taale kothay jeno khub gobhir e giye mon take anchan kore tole ...

 
At 6:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Khoob bhaalo gaan! This is the 10th time I m listening to it in succession and I haven't had enough! I m a Maharashtrian and I shall be playing this song in a concert. I can barely wait for the day! Thanx for the lyrics. I enjoyed singing along with the song.

 
At 1:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks buddy!!

achomka sakalta bhishon aalo aar chaya! meghe dheke gelo charpash! aabar brishti...kolkata teo habe....se to dekhbar jo nei..... tabe gaan ta gaoa jabe....katha gulo bhule gechhilaam kajer chape.... bhabtei parini ekhane pabo....

bhalo theko tomra sabai

Nilanjan

 
At 11:21 AM, Blogger Nandini said...

I have been out of bengal for the last 10 years aar gaan ta shune onek purono kotha mone pore galo. When we were children my grandfather use to sing this song. Gaan ta shune chokhe jal chole elo. thank you for posting the words. Now I cant get it out of my head and Ipod.

 
At 4:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the lyrics...Surojit

 

Post a Comment

<< Home