Friday, October 28, 2005

Several things on my mind today.

Varna’s experience yesterday on a Delhi road persists in my thoughts. Maybe because its another in a long series of accidents that I have seen on that road? I know that road. I have been there so many times, have seen so many people almost run over, some even slightly hit, but nothing so major. Its next to a friend’s place, whom I have visited crossing that road so many times. And so I can picture it so well. Worse still, I can also picture the apathy, and greed, the callousness and the utter cruelty. And it makes me scared. Is that how Delhi could have made me? Or would I still have the sense of humanity that Varna showed under the circumstances? I think the question I really want to ask is Why? How do we lose the sense in the first place? And why can’t there be more people like her who never lose it? What is required in your psyche that helps you keep that heart in the right place?

Familiarity with the place and circumstances, makes the episode very frightening and very sad, to think that in all these years since I have been away, Delhi has yet to lose its callousness.

*********************************************************

On simple blog ethics. Being quite new and still quite an amateur (especially after seeing the stupendously creative and awesome blogs around), I still don’t quite realize the art of "comments". Writing them or answering to them. Should a blog comments sections be treated as a sort of email, so when you leave a comment it is answered to, and the same is applicable to when somebody comments on your piece? Or is it just a personal choice-to answer or not to answer, that is the question. Though when I look around, the enormous numbers of comments make reciprocal answers impossible for some bloggers. I should clarify that these sentences are not statements of any sort, but just musings to help understand the blogosphere better. Any pointers are welcome.

*********************************************************

On Travel. To the beautiful land of Peru. I watched the Globetrekker episode on Peru, and am all fired up about visiting the country (especially Lake Titicaca, the Amazon rainforest, and Machhu Pichhu). It helps that Kaushik has a good Peruvian friend to get us started. But perhaps I should stop thinking of traveling around, and just focus all my energies on just getting a German visa so that I can finally live with my husband. The German authorities don’t seem to want it, the current boss doesn’t seem in favor of it either, so I have to make it work. And work It will :)...

3 Comments:

At 5:51 PM, Anonymous Ash said...

Personal choice, I think. I personally respond only to comments that call for responses. I mean, what can you say to someone who says "Hey, nice post , I loved so-and-so bit ..."!

Then again, as a personal blogger, most of the people who leave comments on my posts are considered as friends, so I don't like to be rude and not say anything ! Although I doubt the bigger, more serious blogs out there can afford to be that senti !

 
At 6:50 PM, Blogger GREATBONG said...

I try to make an effort to answer as many comments as I can...mainly because if anyone spent some time commenting on a post of mine, I think I owe it to them to at least acknowledge their effort. Having said that, there are some old posts of mine, namely on Bong hot girls, Parnab and Mithun where people have kept on commenting and I have stopped replying simply because I do not have anything new to say.

 
At 11:44 PM, Blogger Bidi-K said...

Ash, Arnab: Yes I do think that one-on-one replies to comments is the best way to appreciate the fact that people have spent time and energy writing their thoughts. And yes when its a personal and manageable space, its nice to respond especially when friends write in :) Thanks for the tips!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home