Sunday, December 25, 2005

Merry Christmas!

From Frankfurt. My 4th day in the city, its starting to feel like home :)

The day was leisurely, with friends- some passing through Flughafen, others newly married celebrating with good veggie food, and laughter. For the first time I went to an Evangelist church for the midnight mass and really enjoyed the experience. It felt like a home-made church service (somewhat like a barir pujo), few people, seating on wooden chairs, lots of smiles and kisses on the cheek. Candles being given, along with a copy of the hymns in German. A huge Christmas tree decorated with wooden ornaments, a beautiful Nativity scene carved out of fresh wood, lending a simplicity to the soaring ceilings and width of the church. No pews, no ornamentation, families coming together to pray for peace in the world. That is how it went in my head and heart, and that is how I conducted my service. Listening to the words spoken in German I imagined them saying what I felt, looking through the hymns in the book I sang along with huge joy, and holding K's hand through it all I just spent my best midnight mass ever. There have been grander services attended in bigger and more historic churches but this was different, this was new, and allowed a simplicity that is the real spirit of Christmas. Each candle was lit by people passing around the light in the Church, with a smiling "Danke Schön". As we walked out with our lighted candle, the organ playing in the background, that is what I said silently in my heart "Thank You". To everybody else "Merry Christmas"! with wishes for peace and joy in the coming year.

ps. Somehow, I always think of "Bare Necessities" from Jungle Book as my Christmas song.... Cheers ears!

4 Comments:

At 9:39 AM, Anonymous Ash said...

How beautiful :)

A merry Christmas to you and Ka, and may you ahve many more together !

 
At 2:43 AM, Blogger Bidi-K said...

Thanks Ash! Merry Christmas to you, P, Anki and Tita Apa and Gonu Pisa too :)

 
At 12:52 AM, Blogger sinusoidally said...

Hey Bidisha,

So good to see that you are enjoying with your hubby dearest. :-)

Merry christmas and happy new year!

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger Bidi-K said...

Thanks Sines!
Season's greetings to you, too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home