Wednesday, December 07, 2005

String theory at noon

Revisited Physics today. And realised how badly this subject was taught in school. Lost in meaning, just pure equations didn't convey any beauty nor the actual 'physical' implications thereby undermining the grandeur of thought that went into establishing them. All we did learn was where to use what equation, and the constant nagging of knowing it well so that 'beta, you can get into IIT'. And since engineering was never the goal, Physics was mostly hated. Till Stephen Hawking's book, and Feynman's lecture series when I realized how much I had missed, and more than that how much my teachers at school didn't know...because if they did they couldn't have remained immune to its beauty or failed to impart its true meaning to their students... and its a shame. Today was such an eye-opener. It was a lecture on string theory, but it started from the basics - from an atom, to the kinds of forces, gradually building towards how string theory came about, to the present questions in the field. I don't care how much I understood - for all the while I was in school-mode this time, I actually felt the subject! Very very uplifting, and completely made my day!

8 Comments:

At 8:59 PM, Blogger sinusoidally said...

Do you mean to say that you did not learn anything from Dr. Katyal's lectures? hmm? hmm?

ha ha!

 
At 9:26 PM, Blogger Bidi-K said...

Oh man, I forgot that I had any Physics in college... I guess by then I was beyond redemption! Though I recall that I did enjoy Physics lab.

 
At 11:13 PM, Blogger sinusoidally said...

We used to have Physics lab?

hmm...I totally forgot about that!

 
At 7:37 AM, Blogger Bidi-K said...

yes, in the first sem... was fun, especially the optics part was in the dark room, and i had a crazy lab partner-sdg, who made the best non-veg jokes!

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger nomadic_waves said...

Came upon a blog that is refreshingly nice and interesting...plan to keep haunting this space often...

 
At 6:53 PM, Blogger Bidi-K said...

nomadic_waves - Welcome and Thank you. Please do haunt :)

 
At 1:10 PM, Anonymous Ritwik Patra said...

I had the same feeling about maths when I read "Univerversal History of Numbers" by Ifrah...

 
At 7:43 AM, Blogger Bidi-K said...

ritwik - yes, somehow maths and physics seem to be the two subjects that are just not taught well at the higher secondary level. wish that would change though :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home