Thursday, March 30, 2006

This computer only communicates in German. So the choice is between "Ansicht" (View) and "Loschen" (Delete) while starting to write. Slowly more and more words are making sense. Out of random conversations I can pick up stray words that I do understand and piece together what people might be talking about. I maybe so wrong but imagination is a good thing :) And then I do understand which station my train is coming in and from where I can get the connecting one. In Heidelberg, the man at the croissant shop knows me, and gives me what I want unasked each morning, it makes me feel good. Such small things make a big difference...especially for me. I don't get up all fresh and chirpy at 6 in the morning, I would rather work till 4 at night and it takes me a quite a bit of convincing to feel anything to be worth this early morning torture, and the croissant man's smile does it for me.

Have a very hi-fi cell phone right now. The buttons are still a mystery. I positively did not ask the cell phone to talk to me in German... but at frequent intervals it can. It has powers, I tell you, that I can't control... yet. In K's hand it is another matter. It melts with glee, and shows off more everyday, especially at 3 in the night. K is full with glee too, and it is an ongoing love affair that I can only grind my teeth and watch. I plot the best moment for it to land in the flowerbeds 3 floors below. My attempts have come to naught so far, but soon, very soon. In the meantime I am somewhat thawed by this picture, through its eyes and low resolution capacity, it is by far the most flattering picture of me that I have seen in recent times. Maybe I should reconsider, life as it is, of a cellphone or otherwise is after all ephemereal... why deny it some selfless pleasure... nah, that would be too cruel... and so the hand that holds the orange Sony Ericsson thingie relaxes a bit, the mistress can stay some more.

14 Comments:

At 9:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice picture! much better of the one on my new driving license....sigh..I look like a seal, I swear...sandy says that I merely look very young ...great...so maybe it will be used against me when I try to get a glass of wine in some pubs in this oh! so restrictive US..I am italian after all!..but Montreal will be different!! ah..free wine!!!..uhmmm where was I? ah, right, nice picture....and lovely the smiling croassant man, a good breakfast is the best start ;-), say wise mama....

hugs!!

graz

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger Anyesha said...

Finally I get to see Bidisha of Cold Spring Harbor and good fish curry fame!!

 
At 10:45 PM, Anonymous Ash said...

Heh, that cushion cover is oh-so-familiar :)

G

 
At 3:19 PM, Blogger Bidi-K said...

graz : i have to take a look at the new driving license :) and did you get the schumacher plates yet?

anyesha : good fish curry?? details via devi, i bet! didn't know i was famous though :)

ash : :)) these oriyas, i tell you...

 
At 3:58 PM, Anonymous Ankita said...

Hey!

I'm not sure if you remember me but I'm Ash's younger sis from Mumbai. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to give you and kaushik bhai a shout. How's life in Germany? Do keep in touch, I would love to hear from you guys.

Lots and lots of hugs,
Anki

 
At 9:03 PM, Blogger Hardu said...

Need some help with German? :)

 
At 11:13 PM, Blogger Bidi-K said...

Hi Anki! Yes I do remember you, and that Kaushik does goes without saying. How are you? We will write a proper mail soon... and yes do keep in touch :)

Hardu, I desperately need help with German! Are you offering any classes? :) Advice will do just fine, too.

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger Hardu said...

Sure! You can ask me what you want to be translated and I will try my best. My German is not too good either but I can manage all the basic things. :)

 
At 8:22 PM, Blogger Bidi-K said...

Thanks for the offer, Hardu :) its more the speaking part though... am convinced I will just wake up and miraculously speak fluent German one fine morning, with no effort on my part whatsoever!

 
At 9:42 PM, Blogger Hardu said...

he he he. Are you taking some classes? I am not sure if it is help a lot though. Watching television might. I am just giving gyan though I don't follow it myself. ;)

 
At 6:24 PM, Blogger hutumthumo said...

talking gadgets worry me. reminds me of HAL ...

 
At 12:28 AM, Blogger Bidi-K said...

hardu, where is the time for classes? :( and no TV yet, we are enjoying our TV-free life too much at the moment :) but we have some language CDs that we aim study together with each weekend. We will start sometime soon, I hope...!

hutumthumo, I love that movie! But not HAL... it does not have the potential of HAL yet.. thankfully. Visited your blog - pore besh bhalo laglo :)

 
At 2:34 AM, Blogger sinusoidally said...

Bidisha, you look so cute, also as if up to something. :-)

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger Bidi-K said...

sines, i was writing this blog! and just started on the hi-fi cell phone stuff when K showed the picture to me :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home