Friday, April 21, 2006

A wonderful sense of laziness today. No work, pure break, so rare. Kids are playing outside in the sun, small girls whispering to each other, small boys falling off their bicycles showing off in particular to this one small girl and I am watching it all from the 3rd floor balcony. In the first floor apartment opposite, an old lady with a young couple sit down to eat and chat and their laughter floats gently into the sunshine. Varied food smells that waft from surrounding houses make my mouth water inspite of the fact that I have no further space in my tummy. In most of the Balkans as well as in Ukraine and Russia, followers of the Greek Orthodox church celebrate their Easter weekend. There is a pervading sense of holiday in the air, yet I know its not actually holiday for me but a brief snatch at time. Its the same feeling that I had when I had to prepare for exams in Mar-Apr, when the weather in Delhi was just perfect and one still managed to get out to play in the long lazy afternoons, staying up late in the night to study. Its as if I am almost expecting that the night sky today will be filled with sounds of revelry from nearby JNU hostels celebrating their hostel nights in such idealic weather, while a lone teenager struggles with numericals in physics. I didn't mind those nights before exams then, and somehow I think I wouldn't mind such nights in Germany that give me that past feeling all over again. Such nights when you can leave the balcony open and dream of a fragrant past ensconsed in a pleasurable present are too rare not to enjoy when you can find them... Just for a while.

3 Comments:

At 8:10 PM, Blogger Truth Fairy said...

Aah! Those wonderful study holidays! I used to get up at 4 am and study. By 10 am I used to be content and would then take my bike and head out to meet friends and have coffee. I wish I could be in college for those wonderful 4 years with my friends all over again! :)

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger Bidi-K said...

its true, that time is magical when you look back on it (not when you are in it somehow!)... and then, all too soon, you are so busy with "other" responsibilities that sometimes its difficult to find time to just be!

 
At 2:43 AM, Blogger sinusoidally said...

Bidisha, looking for your email. Didn't find it. Email me at:
emresident@gmail.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home