Tuesday, June 27, 2006

my Japan month

I have this Huge pile of Japanese movies at home, all courtesy a friend. I hadn't heard of any of them but each story sounds fascinating. And something that makes me extra happy is that 2 of them are pure anime. The only anime I have been exposed to so far are the usual Miyazaki (actually watched Totoro for the 3rd time yesterday.. the movie is magic, though my favorite is still Porco Rosso), the Maison Ikkoku series, and Dragonball. Now my repertoire increases, and I get to be more educated, Yippeee!!!

Am also reading the Otori trilogy at the same time. Its such a fast read that I can finish it on my train commute without much brain exercise, which is perfect for me these days. Thats not to say its completely frothy, but is actually a well-researched, swashbuckling (love that word!) adventure story set in medieval-era Japan replete with warriors, monks, beautiful and strong women, lovingly painted landscapes and intricate codes of honor and sacrifice, all in all giving a pretty good overview of the society Japan was and maybe still is. Somehow I always thought the author was a man, but Lian Hearn isn't, and I hear that she is writing more for the series so I am eagerly looking forward to the new ones.

All in all,seems like a Japan month for me. Now if I could only get to Tokyo :)

ps. I found this great video from "Tonari no Totoro" on YouTube, hope it works.

6 Comments:

At 11:59 AM, Blogger sattva said...

watching the totoro clip on your post TOTALLY made my day :) thanks EVER so much. i visited tokyo in '88, when totoro was released, but i had NO clue about it...SIGH!

 
At 3:02 PM, Blogger Joy Forever said...

The clip was nice. However, I am totally ignorant about anime, so probably couldn't really appreciate it...
Have fun! And by the way, Origami is a Japanese art too... maybe you could learn some in your Japan month? :)

 
At 8:54 PM, Blogger Anyesha said...

A great Chinese sage once said too much anime not good. Do not doubt the sagacity of great chinese sage.

 
At 11:19 PM, Blogger Bidi-K said...

sattva: you have been to Japan? I will envy you forever ;) at least till I get to go there! I've heard that there is a special Ghibli tour that is awesome.

joy: ok, you have to educate yourself! isn't there any Miyazaki you can get hold of... Spirited away was pretty famous, maybe you can get it at a lending library, you absolutely Have to Start somewhere!

anyesha: hello great chinese sage :) i've been tagged the first time ever. and i watched those 2 anime already and Need more, absolutely... also will suffer consequences gladly (tagging for instance).

 
At 4:41 AM, Blogger kundalini said...

:). have a great month!

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger Bidi-K said...

kundalini: :)) enjoying it too much i think.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home