Saturday, October 21, 2006


Diwali ki haardik shubh kaamnaayein.

My favorite festival, simply because of the ritual of "choddo pidim" (14 diyas); wherein Ma and I would put each of the 14 diyas in the darkest corners of the house leaving a small courageous flickering flame behind us. It symbolised too many things in my childlike heart back then and somehow the emotions associated with the ritual have yet to fade. The rest could be dispensed with but not this simple ceremony. Most of the day was spent in the lab this year. I did manage to get back not too late, and light as many diyas as I could. The house is now dark and each room has a small flickering flame the glow of which makes everything look beautiful. Happy Diwali everyone!

pic courtesy: KVRN Kiran Kumar at treklens.com/gallery/Asia

4 Comments:

At 4:22 PM, Blogger M (tread softly upon) said...

happy diwali to you too!

 
At 11:29 PM, Blogger Bidi-K said...

thank you M! Hope you had a lovely Diwali too :)

 
At 5:28 AM, Blogger Sandeepa said...

I really liked the way you said "courageous flickering flame", never thought of it that way. Was also about to ask where did you get fuljhari ?

--sandeepa

 
At 12:48 AM, Blogger Bidi-K said...

sandeepa: welcome to my blog! am not sure about your question though, that picture is not taken by me, its by the person mentioned in the pic courtesy. so no phuljharies for me at least this year, i'm afraid :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home