Sunday, December 10, 2006

Go Slowly

In July 2003 when I came to know that I would be in Paris for my masters I was very happy and had written a mail to Dr Jaganathan who was guiding our activities in the Affordable Solutions Lab at KReSIT, IIT Bombay. As a response I received this small poem from him that he considered one of his favorites. Well I am out of touch with him and perhaps will not be easy to get him but I have these words that work up in my mind at the beginning of any major change I attempt in life.

------
Go Slowly

If you want your dream to be,
Take your time, go slowly.
Do few things but do them well,
Heartfelt work grows purely.

Day by day, stone by stone,
Build your secrets slowly.
Day by day, you'll grow too.
You'll know heaven's glory.

If you want to live life free,
Take your time, go slowly.
Do few things but do them well,
Heartfelt joys are holy.

by Donovan Leitch, sung by the
friends of Francis of Assisi in the movie
"Brother Sun, Sister Moon"
--------

7 Comments:

At 1:37 PM, Blogger Joy Forever said...

Lovely poem. That's all I can say. It's been a long time since your last post. Are you adopting the "Go slowly" policy in blogging too? ;)

 
At 4:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

really like the last four lines.

 
At 7:05 PM, Blogger sattva said...

nice..sumthing i really need to teach myself! st francis of assisi? is that associated with/the same as the famous church near rome?

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger M (tread softly upon) said...

very nice lines. esp the "do few things but do them well" bit.

 
At 6:24 PM, Blogger Bidi-K said...

Thanks all,

K wrote this post in my absence. I was gone for a while on work hence the "go slow" policy, Joy :)

Sattva: St. Francis of Assisi is a famous patron saint and though the most famous church in his name is in Rome, there are numerous ones all over the world, but yes definitely an association.

 
At 4:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting the words to this song, I was just looking for them.

Actually, the most famous Church dedicated to Saint Francis is in Assisi, about a two hour train ride from Rome. It is called the Basilica of Saint Francis. You may recall that back in 1986 (and again in 2002 in response to Sept 11), the Pope, then John Paul II, held a World Day of Prayer for Peace in Assisi precisely in the Basilica of St. Francis, where all the heads of the world's religions came to pray for peace and to establish better ties in interreligious dialogue. For more information on the life of St. Francis, see this short biography http://www.ofm.org/1/info/Francis1.html.
Peace.

P.S. Francis also started a religious order called the Order of Friars Minor. That's what the "ofm" after my name means.
P.P.S. A neat movie with Assisi and the Basilica of St. Francis in it... "The Assisi Underground"

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger Bidi-K said...

oops, sorry for writing in Rome, I meant near Rome, thanks for the link and the movie tip.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home